Oasis Day Center
Oasis Day Center's Mission: To alleviate homelessness in Decatur and Macon County and to provide homeless individuals with an opportunity to meet their basic needs while linking them to services in the community. Oasis targets homeless adults as well as those who suffer from multiple diagnoses, such as substance abuse and mental illness.
Serving the homeless since 1999
- Providing a conveninet and accessible location at 243 W. Cerro Gordo Street
- A safe refuge from the streets-a drop in facility
- Meeting individuals on their "own turf"
- Offering barrier-free access to support services 7A.M. to 5 P.M., 365 days a year
- Designed to build trust and lasting relationships with hardest to reach chronically homeless There were 1,984 unduplicated individuals served July 1, 2012 - March 31, 2013 Average daily attendance is 150 individuals Target persons in teh community who suffer from: Homelessness; Metnal Illness; Substance Abuse; Extreme Poverty
What Oasis Provides:
- Safe, hospitable environment
- Protection from the elements
- Bus tokens
- Mail delivery and postage for client s correspondence
- Access to telephone and messages
- Nurse Practitioner through the Community Health Improvement Center (CHIC)
- Connection to community /human resources-meeting basic needs: food, shelter/housing, clothing, medical needs, job postins/opportunities.
Impact of Oasis on the Community
- Providing a one-of-a-kind, safe alternative to the streets
- Linking people to services needed in the community
- Addressing unmet needs
- Decreasing use of costly emergency services
- Linking people to safe affordable housing
Oasis Day Center is a program of Heritage Behavioral Health Center. The services of Heritage are partially funded by the Illinois Department of Human Services, Division of Mental Health, the Division of Alcohol & Substance Abuse, the Macon County Mental Health Board, and the United Way of Decatur & Mid-Illinois. Heritage is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.